Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Costume Challenge, Oh yes!

Hello me Hearties! Our dear friend Anna from The Art of Clothes has created a costume challenge! And I have decided to be a part of it!


I have no idea how far I'll get with it but it'll be fun to try anyway!

So, I know it's February, but I'm going to post my January pictures anyway. =]

Medieval Traveling Dress
Here are the sketches I made of my idea. I have not made the blouse or the over sleeves yet. But it is my intention to. =] hmm... I have just realized these drawings do not have heads. How morbid! Well, the main point is the dress so, I hope you'll forgive me.
Pattern: Simplicity 4940 (I used this pattern for the under dress, dress and over dress. "Artistic Liberties"? um, yes.)
Under dress: (not shown): unbleached cotton muslin, princess seams and raw edges. 
Dress: Linen blend, princess seams, no closures-just slips on, raw edge on hem and yoke.
Over dress: Wool blend, laces in front and sides with hand dyed wool yarn lacing, raw edged hem.
Blouse: Cotton knit (from GAP)
Scarf: The Genevieve scarf (from Pretty Wit) << shameless advertising.
Fingerless Gloves: Also from Pretty Wit << more shameless advertising.
Head scarf: Hemp (from San Juan Islands)
Cape: Wool (blanket from military surplus), cotton flannel lining.  
Boots: Leather (from Goodwill)
 
 




 This is being a silly Peter Pevensie from Narnia. =]
You can see the lacing on the side of the over dress... Not that Peter wears dresses... 
 And this is being Eowyn. Ha ha!
 

I hope you've enjoyed looking at my January costume for the 2012 Costume Challenge!
I hope to post one costume or piece of a costume every month. -- but, we'll see how that goes. =]
All the pictures were taken by the accomplished Genevieve. Thanks Gen!
Happy February!
Marguerite

p.s. If you'd like to share what you've made or see what other people have made, go HERE.



2 comments:

Anna Kristine said...

I love this costume! Sooo amazing. I want a costume like that! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Liz said...

Genevieve and Marguerite,

Your costume and photos are amazing. I love them!

Liz