Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Amelie's Quilt

The lovely Adelhiede of The Garret Corner and Nimble Thimble had a very brilliant idea and I think it's catching! For awhile she will be posting pictures of finished projects from the past. She thought it would be fun if more people did it too. I think I shall join her!
This is the quilt I made for my beautiful niece Amelie Claire! I finished it in August sometime. After my car accident I had a lot of time to quilt! Amelie was born in April of 2008. So, I was only four months late in giving it to her! :)
I started this project October 2nd, 2007 and finished it on August 25th or thereabouts. Hmm...not TOOO bad. ;)

(All pictures taken by the famous and accomplished Aimee)

The banner reads: "You shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water. Psalm 1:3

I quilted the moon to look like cheese! :-D

Added these flowers to make a little bit more girly. Didn't know if it would be a girl or a boy when I started the quilt.
River of life (before it got washed). I used some chiffon for an overlay over the cotton. I like the shimmery effect. Here it is after it got washed. I think it bunched up nicely.
Ok, I confess. This tree trunk is my favorite part of the quilt. I adore the fabric (fat quarter from Hancock Fabrics) and the texture the quilting gave it. This trunk took me an ENTIRE Extended edition Lord of The Rings marathon. About 12 hours straight. Whew!
This quilt was a fun one for fat quarters. The trunk, leaves, grass, waves and moon were all fat quarters. Everything else except for the main "starry" fabric and the backing were all scraps I had on hand.


Here is the label I made for the quilt. The quilt had to have SOME pink on it!


Tried to make this look like basket weave.


All wrapped up and ready!


For me?


Hmm...let's see...how does it feel?


And, more importantly, how does it taste?


It has passed the test. It is Certified Amelie Worthy!


Have a lovely day!
Genevieve

8 comments:

Leah said...

It is a thing of beauty. :) Well done. I applaud your patience and your beautiful work.

SisterlyLove said...

Thank you so much Leah! :) Though, I'm afraid I was not very patient. Most of the time I was thinking "WHY am I so crazy? WHY couldn't I have picked something simpler?!" :) But, thank you! It was nice to finish it and I love seeing her roll around on it and eat it and enjoy it. Ha ha!

Genevieve

Adelheide said...

Wow! This is a beautiful quilt! The tree trunk is amazing, and I love your idea for the water.

Thanks for sharing!

SisterlyLove said...

Thanks Heidi! :)
Genevieve

Family said...

What can I say? You're INCREDIBLE my dear!! It's just amazing! Are there words in our language to describe it? You're beyond the best!

SisterlyLove said...

Aw! You are too nice. I blush.

Genevieve

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful, mellon-nin!
Such ethereal beauty in the simple quilt...
inspired by Eru Himself.
I love your humor, also!
"More importantly, how does it taste?"

*Eru - elvish for God

Anonymous said...

Thank you for following my blog!
That is really what I visited to tell you about, and got stunned by the beautiful quilts =D